Monday, December 27, 2010

Winter Break

Jeremy and I are back at home after spending Christmas Eve and Christmas up at my parents' bed and breakfast. It was a whole lot of fun, despite the fact that Jeremy and several others in the family have been down and out with a nasty cold. Poor Jeremy was so stressed and needing a break from work and he's been sicko since his first day off! He's looking a little better today, so crossing my fingers that he gets at least two sick-free vacation days!
In addition to the traditional Christmas dinner, we had some fun events leading up to the big day. The annual Gingerbread House competition resulted in: Snakes on a Plane, good ship vs. pirate ship, and a good old fashioned house. All three turned out awesome and the ships took the grand prize.
Mom hosted a yankee swap/white elephant party at her place, and we ended up with an AWESOME hand-made Hogwarts throw pillow and some not-so-delicious root beer. I think Chandra took the win with an epic purple sparkly Jesus piggy-bank.
I hosted an ornament exchange/yankee swap at my house, and had a great turnout. Tons of really cool ornaments turned up this year and it was quite the competitive swap!
Mom, Chandra, Isabella, Brett and Jermanie all accompanied me on a trip that's been intimidating the hell out of me - registering for baby! It was much easier with their support and I am very grateful that they helped me out! Isabella was a huge help as the scanner-master and got everything scanned perfectly. Once we let Brett hold the scanner for about 30 seconds before it had to be confiscated when he started registering us for Disney Villain dishes :-p
Baby girl is doing great - with Jeremy and my mom both sick a few days before Christmas, Chandra went with me to my doctor's appointment and got to hear her heartbeat. It was a lot of fun and I got to meet the husband in my husband/wife doctor team. I liked him a whole lot better than his wife and am crossing my fingers that he will be the one on call when our girl decides to come! Everything was looking great and now I am sad to report that the next doctor's appointment is the one involving the blood glucose test. Yay drinking vast amounts of orange sugary water and having blood drawn! (For those of you who don't know, at my first OB appointment they laid me down for the blood draw and I still passed out!)
Jeremy and I interviewed two doulas in the past week and liked them both a lot. I think we've settled on one and I am really looking forward to working with her. We will also be taking birthing classes with her starting in February.
As for the great name quest, we are getting closer, I promise. People have been hounding us and I agree, it's time - it's just a big decision and we're trying to make the right one! Stay tuned - I'm sure the big name announcement will be coming soon :-)

3 comments:

  1. I have heard that the glucose test is AWFUL. I'm more worried about vomiting than fainting, though. I'm super excited to hear the big name decision! Are you still staying away from the top 100? Our girl name is in the top 50, and some of our boy names are, too. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You forgot about the graveyard/chapel gingerbread creation! Also, so excited to hear about the name, but you guys should take all the time you need to make the right decision for you and baby Bruce! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebe, our potential names are not in the top 100, but I'm sure if we found one we loved we woulda just sucked it up.

    ReplyDelete